Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Best Worst Thing

So I am starting a new job tomorrow. :D

When I got laid off, I'll admit that I was more than a little worried. I remembered the dark days following the bar when I had no job and no real prospects. My grandma put it nicely when I overheard her saying "I'm worried about MaryAnn. All she does is sit around and watch fat people." (She failed to mention that "fat people" is actually a T.V. show known as "The Biggest Loser").

Anyway, it turns out my worries were for naught. Though I was laid off, I never actually went a single day without working. I picked up some clients on my own, did some contract work, and even spent a short time at another firm position. I also had offers to choose from and all of the offers were actually better offers than my previous job.

I find this to be amazing, especially in this economy that we're living in. Lawyer jobs are NOT easy to come by. (If you don't believe me, see here, here, and here). I'm not taking the credit for all of my recent job-related opportunities. I've had the distinct impression that these blessings are the direct result of paying tithing. The book True to the Faith, produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, contains the following promise: "The law of tithing requires sacrifice, but your obedience to the law brings blessings that are far greater than anything you ever give up." “Tithing,” True to the Faith, (2004),180–82. I believe this. To learn more on tithing, click here.

So here's the specifics. I am the 11th attorney to join Pearson, Butler, Carson, & Cook. I will be working with the bankruptcy practice group, mostly on Chapter 13 cases. I'm thrilled because I love bankruptcy practice, I'll have great mentors (something I've lacked at my two previous firms), I'll have health insurance (something I've lacked since I was still under my dad's insurance at age 21), and I'm getting a significant raise.

I feel like the whole lay-off thing was a blessing in disguise. Sure, it wasn't a great feeling to be laid off. I loved my old job and wasn't really searching for other opportunities. But being laid off forced me to see what else was out there. It might be the best worst thing that has ever happened to me.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear about your new job! We kind of wondered if we had made the right decision when we went to WA after it turned out to be such a painful experience- but sometimes those tough experiences really do lead you to much better things and I think it makes you appreciate it even more. You are such an amazing girl, I can't help but know that Heavenly Father has some great things in store. Good luck and congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's always a silver lining right? And in this case it sounds like it's more even than that. Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun to office share with you while you worked for Brandon for a few weeks, but I'm glad you have more opportunities at your new firm. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you've had such a great opportunity come your way! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooooongrats! 11th! And a woman! And a minority! Way to continue making your mark!

    ReplyDelete